Student Grants

Grants are often called “gift aid” because they do not have to be paid back. Federal and NY State grants have different eligibility criteria. Learn more on how to apply for these grants and the necessary standards to maintain them.

How do I get Started?

To be considered for Federal Financial Aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each academic year at . Our school code is 002873.

Once your FAFSA is processed, New York State will generate the Express TAP Application (ETA) that you need to complete to be considered for the New York Tuition Assistance Program. For more specific information on New York State-sponsored financial aid programs, go to HESCU or TAP.

The College offers the following federal and state grant and loan programs to matriculated students enrolled in an approved degree granting program. Grant funds do not have to be paid back to the federal or state funding agency.

Effective for the 2018/2019 award year:

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants are limited to students with financial need, who have not earned their first bachelor's degree. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award for the 2018–19 award year (July 1, 2018, to June 30, 2019) is $6,095.  The Pell Grant is offered based on your Expected Family contribution (EFC) and credit load for the semester.  You are not required to attend full time.  If you enroll in less than 12 credits, your Pell award will be prorated according to the student's enrolled credit load for that semester.  Total credit load of less than 1 credit is not eligible to receive the Pell Grant. Student's receiving Federal aid must maintain satisfactory academic progress. You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The annual SEOG amount is awarded based on a student's financial need, credit load and the federal allocation for the award year.  Students are required to file a FAFSA. Students will be automatically considered for this grant while funds are available and the student meets the following criteria:

  • Must be a recipient of the Federal Pell Grant in the same enrollment period that SEOG is offered
  • EFC must be 0
  • Must be matriculated in an approved degree or certificate program at NCC
  • Enrolled in at least 6 credits toward that degree or certificate program
  • Must meet all standard requirements for Title IV funding

Students will be awarded with an estimated full-time SEOG award and the award will prorate according to credit load for that semester.

  Credit Load Annual Award Semester Award
Full-time 12 or more $1,000 $500
3/4 time 9 - 11.5 $750 $350
Half-time 6 - 8.5 $500 $250
< Halt-time 1 - 5.5 0 0

State Grants

New York State Grants

The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is available for all full-time students. When you file your FAFSA, a link will direct you to the TAP application.

Aid for Part-Time Study Program (APTS) is offered to students who are registered for between 3 and 11.5 credits. APTS applications and criteria are available on the Financial Aid forms page. NOTE: Students that have received their high school diploma from a foreign school must take an approved "Ability to Benefit” test and attain a passing score prior to the start of the semester in order to be considered for state aid. Contact the Placement Testing Center at or call 516.572.9604. Excelsior Scholarship New for the 2017/2018 year!  FAQ and how to apply.

Other State Aid Programs

Almost every state in the United States has an education grant or scholarship available to their residents.  Eligibility is usually restricted to state residents attending a college in-state, but that's not always the case.  Find out what financial aid programs are available to you from your state.